Friday, September 14, 2012

Troubleshooting:Database diagram support objects cannot be installed because this database does not have a valid owner

The fix for this issue is described in following link


I know the content of above link will never disappear, still here is the copy of the content from the above link
Error:
Database diagram support objects cannot be installed because this database does not have a valid owner. To continue, first use the Files page of the Database Properties dialog box or the ALTER AUTHORIZATION statement to set the database owner to a valid login, then add the database diagram support objects.
Workaround / Fix / Solution :
Well for a while I attempted few things and nothing worked. After that I carefully read the error and I realized that solution was proposed in the error only. I just have to read it carefully. Here are the steps I did to make this work.
-- Replace YourDatabaseName in following scriptALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::YourDatabaseName TO sa
GO
  • Select your database >> Right Click >> Select Properties
  • Select FILE in left side of page
  • In the OWNER box, select button which has three dots (…) in it
  • Now select user ‘sa’ or NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and click OK.
This should solve your problem.
Please note, I suggest you check your security policies before changing authorization. I did this to quickly solve my problem on my development server. If you are on production server, you may open yourself to potential security compromise. 

No comments: